Fasten your seat belts. This is a big one.
Christopher fulfils our expectations and more: just when we think the story couldn’t get any weirder, he adds a whole new layer of weird, bouncing from one unexpected moment of goofiness to another, keeping us stuck to our chairs until we think it’ll take an industrial-strength solvent to pry us loose. Days after finishing the book, you’ll still have a grin on your face.
This is my first ever starred review, and I’m… floored, totally! There’s more in the full review, available for the moment to Booklist subscribers.
The advance blurbs for The Burning Dark, my first novel from Tor (US) and Titan (UK), are also in.
Christopher has produced a widescreen Hollywood spectacular in novel form, littered with ‘wow’ moments and a few sly in-jokes for hardcore comic book fans to catch. Not to be missed.
—James Lovegrove, New York Times bestselling author
A creepy mystery embedded in a classic SF setting that’ll make you shiver…
—Tobias S. Buckell, New York Times bestselling author
Christopher puts sci-fi in a metaphysical choke-hold—The Burning Dark makes reality tap out.
—Scott Sigler, New York Times bestselling author
Smart, intricate, and viscerally gripping… Adam Christopher carves a place for himself among the stars of his genre.
—V.E. Schwab, author of Vicious
Christopher mines the terror of a setting that feels both tremendously vast and nerve-wrackingly claustrophobic. The Burning Dark will have readers hesitating before glancing at the night sky or turning on their radios.
—Robert Jackson Bennett, author of Mr. Shivers and American Elsewhere
A riveting sci-fi mystery reminiscent of Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House.
—Martha Wells, author of Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion – Razor’s Edge
With this creepy and compelling mystery, Adam Christopher demonstrates why he’s one of the most original and exciting writers working in the genre right now.
—Gareth L. Powell, author of Ack-Ack Macaque and The Recollection
Christopher is writing science-fiction unlike anyone else – tense, unsettling, and grounded in a universe full of danger and mystery. The Burning Dark slips a cold, gloved hand around your heart and doesn’t let go.
—Jen Williams, author of The Copper Promise
My heartfelt thanks to that amazing collection of authors.
Appetite whetted? Fancy a look at Hang Wire and The Burning Dark? Then get your pre-orders in, because you’ll be in for the chance to win one gosh-darned heck of a prize pack. Read on!
Hang Wire is out in the US on January 28th and in the UK on February 6th. The Burning Dark is out in the US and UK on March 25th. Order one, or both, and you could win all of this:
TWELVE THIRTEEN books. Thirteen SIGNED books. Did I mention they’re all signed? Well they are. *SIGNED*. Thirteen books from thirteen of my favourite writers and creators. Three hardcovers. Ten paperbacks. All of them signed.
To go into the draw to win this pack (Thirteen. Signed. Books), all you need to do is order Hang Wire, or The Burning Dark, or both, and send your order receipt to email@example.com with the subject heading PRE-ORDER CONTEST. I’ll be using the subject heading to filter emails, so make sure you use it. If you don’t, I’ll still get the email, but I can’t guarantee I’ll find it.
The rules, they easy:
- The contest is open worldwide.
- You can order the books from anywhere you like – Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Barnes & Noble, Waterstones, WH Smith, Indiebound, The Book Depository. Your local chain store. Your local indie store. Wherever you like to buy books from. You can find some links for Hang Wire here, and for The Burning Dark here.
- To go in the draw I need your order receipt – it could be an email from Amazon or Barnes & Noble. It could be a scan or a photo of a register receipt. It could be a scan or photo of a handwritten receipt from your favourite indie store who rocks it old school.
- The contest will run from today (January 6th) until Tuesday April 8th – yes, that’s a heck of a long time, but I want to give as many people as possible the opportunity to enter. Some people don’t like to pre-order, they like to buy the book off the shelf once it is out. Some people may have a favourite indie store that can’t process pre-orders. Some people might want to save up for the books. Whatever, no problem. Tuesday April 8th is one week after The Burning Dark comes out, so that gives everyone a chance to grab it after release if they so wish. I have to say I do prefer pre-orders – pre-orders count towards first week sales, and first week sales are super important. So if you can pre-order, please do so.
- Now for the maths:
- One copy of Hang Wire ordered gets you one entry.
- One copy of The Burning Dark ordered gets you one entry.
- If you order both books, you double your chances with FOUR entries.
- If you buy the limited, numbered hardcover edition of Hang Wire from Forbidden Planet, that gets you TWO entries.
- The entries all add up – so if you say bought two copies of Hang Wire, and two copies of The Burning Dark (please note, I heartily encourage this excellent behaviour), you’d get eight entries. Throw in the limited hardcover of Hang Wire, you’re up to ten entries.
- eBooks count the same as print copies. Audiobooks don’t count.
- If you’re coming along to the book launch a Forbidden Planet London on Thursday March 6th and picking up your books there, there will be a notepad for you to write down your email address to enter.
- The contest is now open. Winner will be drawn by random number and announced after the contest closes.
Okay? Okay. Any questions, please ask below. I want to make this as easy as possible, because I want to give away that set of signed books to one very lucky reader!
[Edit: Updated 8 Jan 2014 to add Lazarus to the prize pack.]